Research in Natural Products - Microbiology
Our ongoing investigations of basic questions in functional microbial diversity and secondary metabolism are directed at improving the quality of our microbial and natural products collections while advancing the understanding of how and why microorganisms produce their natural products. Significant research is centered in the following areas:
- Detection and molecular assessment of microbial diversity.
- Characterisation and identification of microorganisms, especially those that produces secondary metabolites.
- Evolutionary histories of microorganisms and their relationship to secondary metabolism.
- Development of cultivation methods and fermentation media for secondary metabolite expression.
- Molecular basis of microbial antagonism and secondary metabolite expression.
- Detection and molecular assessment of secondary metabolite pathways in individual organisms and in the metagenome.